Monday, January 30, 2012

c.c.c.c.c.......cold in the shackienda this morning!

......woke up a wee bit chilly this morn with the interior temps running in the high 20's low 30's!! I have not been using the propane (to see if I can do it and save a little money) and it's possible. I get warmed up chopping wood and when I go in, I can keep the house very comfortable with about a small log per hour. last night I filled the fire box up with red oak, closed the air intake and the damper and when I woke up 3 hours later my stove fan was still spinning (it only spins at 150 degrees or over). That means that the little cast iron stove held heat for quite awhile. Still not all night though....

About the fan....
My dad bought me an ECOfan for Christmas and it is really neat. It produces electricity when the stove heats up and pins a small brass fan, pushing the warm air out into the room. It works well and it is neat to look at. They are really expensive though. But very cool!

ECOFAN

OK updates on the house.....

The lower parts of the walls are done. Some of the seams are a little janky but they will be covered with trim so that's ok. I am going to get some stain for the walls this week (samples) and see what looks best on some scrap wood. The walls went up pretty easy.....with help. My cousin Jess came over and we knocked them out in a few hours. The only problem was the fact that nothing is plumb or on center in the original construction. These were never meant to be finished on the inside when they were built so standards weren't really adhered to. it's not a big deal, we just have to measure and cut a bit more. It is starting to come together and feel like home and I am pretty happy with the outcome. I am still having trouble sealing the crack around the stove pipe where it meets the roof flashing (JB Weld did not hold!!!!!!!!!) but I will figure it out.

Anyway.......the hunt is on for a permanent spot for the house. I will have to moveit come March. I have a few options but I would really like to find some land to buy......with no money. Ahhhhhhhhhh Poverty! Well, back to work...

soma

No comments:

Post a Comment