Monday, January 23, 2012

The Update....

So the floor went in fine. The laminate flooring was a pain to put down but I bought the cheapest stuff. I think a better quality laminate would install easier. I opted to use tar paper instead of the "foam" that they sell for underneath the flooring. The tar paper cost 1/5 of what the foam would have!! and does the exact same thing....keeps the clacky noise down. I ended up buying a tapping block and an edge puller for the install. It was a must and I recommend everyone spend the 15 bucks if you plan on trying to do a project like this. I would also recommend using a rubber or plastic mallet instead of a roofing hammer like I did.
  The install was pretty easy with the help of my cousin Jess and my buddy Chris both of whom I would not be able to do this without!!). First we laid heavy duty plastic down on the old floor as a moisture barrier. Next came 4 sheets of new sub floor (particle board). Then a layer of tar paper went in followed by the laminate flooring. This was mostly done under a tarp in front of the cabin in the rain!!
  So the floor looks great (other than a few small imperfections in the laminates) and the cabin is noticeably warmer with the floors in. There are no more drafts coming up through the floor and even though the floor is cold it is still much nicer to walk on barefoot.
  We put up a couple of wall boards too. It has been pretty awful weather up here (rainy) and on the nice days it seems that I have been going in to the office so I have stalled on the walls. Hopefully the weather will break and I can finish them this week. I doubt that it will take too long.

Roof Leaks...

Well, it is leaking where the stovepipe goes through the roof flashing. When it dries out, this is the first thing that needs to be addressed. I put some gunk in the seam but I guess I used the wrong stuff. If it stops raining at all today, that is priority number one.

  The cabin is staying nice and warm with just the propane heater. The weather has been damp but not that cold so I have been leaving the heater on low and curling up in the blankets with Sho.

So here are some pics....









Well, that's it for now.
soma

No comments:

Post a Comment