Tuesday, January 3, 2012

....an update.

....so I have been staying in the "house" for the last few nights. I have the wood stove plumbed and with a roaring fire the building stays reasonably warm. Keep in mind that the walls and floors are unfinished and the building is still pretty drafty. Last night I filled the fire box up at midnight and when I woke up at 6 A.M. the inside temp was hovering around 32 degrees. Yes it was cold but it was 16 degrees outside (without the windchill)! I turned the big buddy on high for about 15 minutes and then it was warm enough to get up and moving....which I promptly did not do, opting instead to crawl back under the covers with my worthless excuse for a Husky and snuggle until 10 AM.

Today ended up being pretty productive. The propane heater is working, running off of a small tank and cycles on when the wood stove cools down. I have it on the lowest setting and it will be interesting to see what the mean temp in the house will be when the heater is cycling on and off. I am hoping that it will be in the low 40's and only cycle occasionally. I would love my 100lb propane to last all winter..

I also ran the power through the wall instead of through the sliding glass door as I had been. I had to stuff a wool blanket in the crack to keep the drafts and being able to close the door all the way will be nice.

Tonight I am going to do some cleaning...making it livable until I put the interior walls and new floors in (this weekend). I will post some pics soon.... I promise.

soma

No comments:

Post a Comment