Thursday, October 20, 2011

dragging a shack...

Tractors are good. We just moved the shack about 400 yards with chains and a tractor. It slid surprisingly well even up the hill that is the driveway for the outpost and it is now sitting where it will spend the winter. There is a long list of things to do, most of which will have to be done when I get back from Cincinnati after Christmas but there are some immediate projects that have to be done. First, I have to clean it out. It has been sitting open for years (and unused for the last year) so between hornets nests, dirt, mud dobber nests, more dirt, leaves, bird droppings and more dirt I have my work cut out for me. Next, there is a wall that needs to be finished. It is on the end farthest from the door and it will need to be framed out and exterior sheeting put up. I am planning on putting in a sliding glass door where the front door is but if I put it here it will save me a bunch of work and time and money.....I just don't think it's the spot. I am going to have to explore this a bit from an interior design standpoint. If I decide not to put the slider here then I need to frame out an opening where the front door is for the sliding glass door and install. The rear wall needs attention too. It needs more framing 2x4's so I can hang sheetrock (and insulate) and needs new exterior panels. The ones that were there were never finished and after 5-6 years are in pretty bad shape. The window on the front needs to be replaced too but I will do that later and for now just cover it. The idea is to have the space dry so I can work on the interior when I get back from Ohio (with money in my pocket) soooo........a list.


1. clean out the shack
2. fix the back and side walls
3. buy, frame in and install a sliding glass door
4. replace or cover the broken window

This way when I get back I can focus on making the interior livable.........the next list.

5. run basic wiring for a few outlets (not used until I am permanently situated)
6. seal and insulate walls and roof
7. sheetrock walls and roof
8. Install floors (laminates)
9. Install wood stove and stovepipe
10. paint.
11. and the list goes on and on and on....

I have got my work cut out for me...

1 comment:

  1. Well,
    This time I can see one picture of your house.
    Are there more?

    Reinforcing, sealing and insulating are the biggest ones on your list. All others can be done inside. Hope the weather permits you to complete your base home project.

    Good luck,
    Bob (aka stude53)

    ReplyDelete