Saturday, November 5, 2011

some windows and a sliding door...

....so I have to wait another day for the sliding door but that's OK. I found 5 32"x32" windows at the local salvage store. They are old windows, single pane and uninsulated which is not ideal but I could not pass them up for the price. I will have to put plastic over them this winter to increase the R value but I think that they will look amazing  high on the rear wall. I plan to use three or four stretching the entire length of the back wall. I would like to find a way to hinge a couple too so I can use them to vent the house in the hot summers. Next weeks project is to frame these in!! Here are some pics (and sketches) of my plans so far....




4 comments:

  1. Why not mount two single pane windows in one frame (creating a double pane window with air space in between)?

    Two of those along the high wall should give adequate light and visibility.

    Bob (aka stude53)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of that too....I don't think it would work like a double paned window since those are filled with argon. It would increase the R value but I don't know how much more than plastic. I think I would give up a little insulation for the added aesthetic of 4 windows across the back wall. I am also thinking of making these to be opened (hinged at the top) and two of these slapped together would be a little unwieldy. The other thing is ....the more windows I install, the less drywall I have to hang (I hate drywall)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to hang it, tape, putty, sand (especially sand), prime, and paint. Sometimes you can find closeout paneling cheap to put up instead of drywall (to cover up your insulation and vapor barrier). A lot less finishing work for a small cabin.

    Bob (aka stude53)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah drywall stinks but it is the look I want. It should not be too bad....most of the surfaces are becoming windows!

    ReplyDelete